Hassocks is a village and civil parish in the Mid Sussex district of West Sussex, England. Its name is believed to derive from the tufts of grass found in the surrounding fields.
Located approximately 7 miles north of Brighton, the area now occupied by Hassocks was just a collection of small houses and a coaching house until the 19th century, when work started on the London to Brighton railway. Hassocks until 2000 was just a postal district and prior to that the name of the railway station.
The opening on 21 September 1841 of Hassocks Gate station (named after the nearby toll gate on the turnpike road to Brighton, but now known simply as Hassocks) on the London to Brighton railway saw the beginning of the village that we know today.
In the 1930s the Grand Avenue residential area, along with several other roads, was developed by George Ferguson on the site of former orchards and the Orchard Pleasure Gardens. A special feature of the Hassocks Homes development ordered by Mr Ferguson was the planting of flowering cherry trees along the main roads.
Today Hassocks has a variety of independent shops including several cafes, specialist shops like the long established delicatessen, an optician, general hardware store & a couple of restaurants (Indian and Chinese) and a well-used community centre called Adastra Hall. In 2010 well known high street brands started to show an interest in the high street & modernisation of quaint old shops has seen the quirky give way to the corporate.
Hassocks railway station serves the village. Thameslink and Southern provide regular train services to Brighton, London and Bedford. The station was rebuilt and redeveloped in 2013, the new main station building was opened on 5 July with the addition of lifts on both platforms completed by December 2013.